Composers / Edvard Grieg / Places catalog
This building was erected in 1883, at the initiative of the Society of Good Intentions (Selskapsklubben Den Gode Hensigt), as the seat of a new club, replacing the old building from 1786. In this instance, the good intention was to place at the disposal of the city a high standard venue for solemn occasions. It was built by the first freemasons in the city, hence the name. Up to 1918, it was the permanent concert hall of the ‘Harmonien’ Society. In 1884, Edvard Grieg gave four concerts of his own works here. He returned to the Lodge in 1901, with his wife Nina, and in 1903 the composer’s sixtieth birthday was celebrated here with a grand gala concert. Unfortunately, the rich library went up in flames in 1980. The concert hall was restored in 1997.
Edvard Grieg, portrait, ca. 1903, Bergen Offentlige Bibliotek.
Logen Theater (creative commons).