Composers / Edvard Grieg / Places catalog
2 Øvre Voldgate
Nina and Edvard Grieg lived here in 1867, when they travelled to Christiania from Copenhagen after their wedding. In the attic, Edvard set up a music room, where he also gave piano lessons. It was here that he wrote the first of his Lyric Pieces. Edvard was appointed conductor of the philharmonic orchestra, and his concerts were highly popular.
Nina and Edvard Grieg at the piano, portait (1888), Bergen Offentlige Bibliotek.
Øvre Voldgate 2. (creative commons)