Composers / Edvard Grieg / Places catalog
Hals Brothers’ Concert Hall
Around 1847, the brothers Karl and Petter Hals founded the Brødrene Hals keyboard instrument manufactory at this address. They initially produced harmoniums, with their first grand piano made in 1863. In 1880, a 400-capacity concert hall was built onto the factory, and it became the main chamber hall in Christiania. Grieg, who was good friends with Karl Hals and his family, performed there countless times. The hall was used until 1919, and in 1917 it was the venue for the founding meeting of the Union of Norwegian Composers. Up to 1927, the Chat Noir vaudeville theatre gave performances here, but in 1930 the building was pulled down. Today, the Hotel Continental stands roughly on the same spot.
Brødrene Hals concert hall ald piano factory (ca. 1890), Oslo Museum.
Concert hall (between ca. 1895 and 1915), Norsk Teknisk Museum.