Composers / Fryderyk Chopin / Places catalog

Ugoszcz

This village is first mentioned in 1418, when the area was owned by Mikołaj Ugoski. For some time, the property was in the possession of the Zieliński family. In 1705–1707, Konstanty Zieliński, of the Świnka coat of arms, Archbishop of Lwów [now Lviv, Ukraine] and brother of the then owner, Jan Zieliński, hid in Ugoszcz after assisting in the coronation of Stanisław Leszczyński as King of Poland. The archbishop had been forced to flee as he had incurred the wrath of the supporters of King Augustus II the Strong. In 1790, Aleksander Zieliński sold the property to Ludwik Borzewski of the Lubicz coat of arms. The Borzewskis owned the property until the outbreak of the Second World War, then Helena Sumińska managed it until 1943.

Chopin mentioned Ugoszcz, a village he almost certainly visited more than once, in a letter he wrote to Jan Białobłocki in September 1825, after holidaying in Szafarnia. One of the main reasons for these visits might have been that Honorata Borzewska, the second wife of Juliusz Dziewanowski, the owner of Szafarnia, was the daughter of the owners of Ugoszcz.

In 1827, Ugoszcz had 33 homes and 349 residents.

Unfortunately, the manor house where Chopin stayed is no longer there. The eclectic palace that stands on the site now was built by the Borzewskis in the 1860s. The two distinctive architectural features of the building are a pentagonal greenhouse on the eastern side and an avant-corps surmounted by a two-storey tower on the western side. The manor is by a lake and is surrounded by a wall. The entrance gate has a decorative grille. There is a long avenue that leads from the entrance gate to a circular driveway in front of the main entrance to the building. The surrounding park was laid out by Antoni Borzewski in the latter half of the nineteenth century (it was rearranged according to a design by Stefan Celichowski after 1904).

After the Second World War, the State Treasury appropriated the estate. The mansion was used in turn as a school, a farmers’ club, a library, a shop and private flats, before housing a rural health centre in the 1970s. It is now the main building of the ‘Kombatant’ nursing home.

Antoni Borzewski was killed in Ugoszcz in 1920 while defending his property during the Polish-Soviet War (1919–1921).

Place Category
Antonin Manors / Palaces / Castles
Antoni Brzezina’s bookshop Publishers / Bookshops
Apartment of Dominik Magnuszewski Flats
Apartment of Stefan Witwicki Flats
Apartment of the family of Alfons Brandt Flats
Augsburg Evangelical Church of the Holy Trinity Churches / Places of worship
Belvedere Appearances
Bielany, Camaldolese monastery Churches / Places of worship
Blue Palace Manors / Palaces / Castles
‘Botanika’ Other
Brochów Churches / Places of worship
Brühl Palace Appearances
Buchholtz’s instrument store Other
Casimir Palace Flats
Chopin Monument in Łazienki Park Other
Czapski (Krasiński) Palace Appearances, Manors / Palaces / Castles
Dal Trozzo bookshop Publishers / Bookshops
Duszniki Zdrój Hotels / Inns
Dziewanowski home Flats
Engraving studio of Fr Izydor Józef Cybulski and Antoni Płachecki Education
Franciszek Klukowski bookshop Publishers / Bookshops
Fryderyk Chopin Museum Other
Fryderyk Skarbek’s apartment Flats
Gdańsk Hotels / Inns
Gładkowskis' apartment Flats
Golub Other
Holy Cross Church Churches / Places of worship
Home of Jan Matuszyński Flats
‘Honoratka’ Coffeehouses
Jabłonowski Palace Manors / Palaces / Castles
Jan Böhm’s townhouse Flats
Kalisz Other
Kikół Manors / Palaces / Castles
Kolbergs' apartment Flats
Kowalewo Manors / Palaces / Castles
Kozłowo Manors / Palaces / Castles
Krakow Other
Ludwik Dmuszewski’s house Flats
Magnus's bookshop Publishers / Bookshops
Marceli Celiński’s apartment Flats
Maurycy Mochnacki’s home Flats
Miss Kicka's Salon in Lubomirski Palace Manors / Palaces / Castles
National Theatre Appearances
Obory Churches / Places of worship
Obrowo Manors / Palaces / Castles
Ojców Other
‘Old’ Merchants' Hall Appearances
Patisserie Lourse Coffeehouses
Pieskowa Skała Other
Płock Other
‘Pod Kopciuszkiem’ and ‘Dziurka’ Coffeehouses
Poturzyn Manors / Palaces / Castles
Powązki Cemeteries
Poznań Other
Presbytery of St Jadwiga (Hedwig) parish church in Milanówek Other
Pruszak Palace Manors / Palaces / Castles
Residence of Józef Reinschmidt’s parents Flats
Rościszewo Manors / Palaces / Castles
Sanniki Manors / Palaces / Castles
Saxon Palace Flats
Saxon Post Office Other
Skating rink Other
Sochaczew Other
Sokołowo Manors / Palaces / Castles
Staszic Palace Manors / Palaces / Castles
Strzyżew Manors / Palaces / Castles
Szafarnia Manors / Palaces / Castles
Toruń Other
Turzno Manors / Palaces / Castles
Ugoszcz Manors / Palaces / Castles
‘U Brzezińskiej’ Coffeehouses
Viceroy's Palace Appearances
Vilnius (Wileński) Hotel Hotels / Inns
Visitandine Church of St Joseph Churches / Places of worship
Waplewo Manors / Palaces / Castles
Warsaw Other
Warsaw Charitable Society Appearances
Warsaw Conservatory Appearances
‘Wiejska Kawa’ Coffeehouses
Wieliczka Other
Wojciech Żywny’s apartment Flats
Wola Tollhouse Other
Wrocław Appearances
Żelazowa Wola Flats
Żychlin Manors / Palaces / Castles