Composers / Fryderyk Chopin / Places catalog

Pieskowa Skała

Chopin admired nearby Ojców Castle on Pieskowa Skała [Little dog rock] while he was visiting the Prądnik Valley in July 1829. The castle was once part of a chain of fortresses that guarded the trade route from Krakow to Silesia. It is first mentioned in a 1315 document, where it is referred to as Castrum Peskenstein by Ladislaus I the Elbow-high (1261–1333).

From 1377 to 1608, Pieskowa Skała was the residence of the Szafraniec family. During the sixteenth century, the castle was renovated in the Renaissance style. When the last of the Szafraniec family died without an heir, it passed to Maciej Łubnicki, then Samuel Śladkowski and then the Zebrzydowski family. From 1667 to 1842, the property belonged to the Wielopolskis, who availed themselves of the privilege of the title of Count of Pieskowa Skała. They were seldom there, however, as they performed important state functions, and so the castle fell into ruin.

Hieronim Wielopolski (1712–1779), the Voivode of Krakow, moved to Pieskowa Skała permanently and had the property thoroughly converted into an impressive aristocratic residence. Surviving inventories from 1778 bear witness to the impressive works of art that were kept there. Guests included Augustus III (before he was crowned King of Poland) and Stanislaus Augustus, the last king of Poland.

Despite its long history, the castle at Pieskowa Skała, by contrast with the fortress at Ojców, was still in good repair in Chopin’s day. Klementyna Hoffman, née Tańska, who visited in 1826, doubted that ‘there could be a better preserved building of this age anywhere in Poland. Not only is there no damage, but there is no hint of neglect or disorder in its hundred rooms, its spacious galleries, which are double-storeyed on the courtyard side, or its underground dungeons. Everywhere there is evidence of a careful and caring hand, which I find cheering and touching’.

In 1842, the Mieroszewski family purchased the castle, and it gradually lost its splendour. It was used as a refuge during the January Uprising in 1863 and then rebuilt and restored to how it was when the Wielopolskis owned it in 1863–1877. The Mieroszewskis sold the property to Michał Wilczyński, from Warsaw, in 1896 and Mr Chmurski, a lawyer from Krakow, came to own it soon afterwards. In 1902, the indebted castle was auctioned. In 1903, Adolf Dygasiński and Józef Zawadzki formed a company that raised the money and purchased it. Once the building was renovated, and its rooms refurbished, it was used until 1939 as a summer resort. During the Second World War, it was a shelter for orphaned children (including children from the Zamość area and Volhynia) and refugees fleeing the Warsaw Uprising.

After the war, the State Treasury assumed ownership of the castle. In 1950–1963, an attempt was made to restore the building’s Renaissance features, but a lack of iconographic material and period furnishings and made it impossible to recreate the interiors as they had once been. Opened in 1970 was a museum (actually, a branch of the Wawel Royal Castle State Art Collection), with an exhibition of stylistic developments in European art from the fourteenth to the mid nineteenth centuries. All the exhibits remain the property of Wawel Royal Castle.

The castle also houses the library of the Sapieha family from Krasiczyn, comprising some 28,000 volumes.

Place Category
Antonin Manors / Palaces / Castles
Antoni Brzezina’s bookshop Publishers / Bookshops
Apartment of Dominik Magnuszewski Flats
Apartment of Stefan Witwicki Flats
Apartment of the family of Alfons Brandt Flats
Augsburg Evangelical Church of the Holy Trinity Churches / Places of worship
Belvedere Appearances
Bielany, Camaldolese monastery Churches / Places of worship
Blue Palace Manors / Palaces / Castles
‘Botanika’ Other
Brochów Churches / Places of worship
Brühl Palace Appearances
Buchholtz’s instrument store Other
Casimir Palace Flats
Chopin Monument in Łazienki Park Other
Czapski (Krasiński) Palace Appearances, Manors / Palaces / Castles
Dal Trozzo bookshop Publishers / Bookshops
Duszniki Zdrój Hotels / Inns
Dziewanowski home Flats
Engraving studio of Fr Izydor Józef Cybulski and Antoni Płachecki Education
Franciszek Klukowski bookshop Publishers / Bookshops
Fryderyk Chopin Museum Other
Fryderyk Skarbek’s apartment Flats
Gdańsk Hotels / Inns
Gładkowskis' apartment Flats
Golub Other
Holy Cross Church Churches / Places of worship
Home of Jan Matuszyński Flats
‘Honoratka’ Coffeehouses
Jabłonowski Palace Manors / Palaces / Castles
Jan Böhm’s townhouse Flats
Kalisz Other
Kikół Manors / Palaces / Castles
Kolbergs' apartment Flats
Kowalewo Manors / Palaces / Castles
Kozłowo Manors / Palaces / Castles
Krakow Other
Ludwik Dmuszewski’s house Flats
Magnus's bookshop Publishers / Bookshops
Marceli Celiński’s apartment Flats
Maurycy Mochnacki’s home Flats
Miss Kicka's Salon in Lubomirski Palace Manors / Palaces / Castles
National Theatre Appearances
Obory Churches / Places of worship
Obrowo Manors / Palaces / Castles
Ojców Other
‘Old’ Merchants' Hall Appearances
Patisserie Lourse Coffeehouses
Pieskowa Skała Other
Płock Other
‘Pod Kopciuszkiem’ and ‘Dziurka’ Coffeehouses
Poturzyn Manors / Palaces / Castles
Powązki Cemeteries
Poznań Other
Presbytery of St Jadwiga (Hedwig) parish church in Milanówek Other
Pruszak Palace Manors / Palaces / Castles
Residence of Józef Reinschmidt’s parents Flats
Rościszewo Manors / Palaces / Castles
Sanniki Manors / Palaces / Castles
Saxon Palace Flats
Saxon Post Office Other
Skating rink Other
Sochaczew Other
Sokołowo Manors / Palaces / Castles
Staszic Palace Manors / Palaces / Castles
Strzyżew Manors / Palaces / Castles
Szafarnia Manors / Palaces / Castles
Toruń Other
Turzno Manors / Palaces / Castles
Ugoszcz Manors / Palaces / Castles
‘U Brzezińskiej’ Coffeehouses
Viceroy's Palace Appearances
Vilnius (Wileński) Hotel Hotels / Inns
Visitandine Church of St Joseph Churches / Places of worship
Waplewo Manors / Palaces / Castles
Warsaw Other
Warsaw Charitable Society Appearances
Warsaw Conservatory Appearances
‘Wiejska Kawa’ Coffeehouses
Wieliczka Other
Wojciech Żywny’s apartment Flats
Wola Tollhouse Other
Wrocław Appearances
Żelazowa Wola Flats
Żychlin Manors / Palaces / Castles